Worried about a Child?

I’m worried that a child I know is being abused / neglected. What do I do?

If you suspect a child or young person is being harmed or is at risk of harm then you should contact the Duty Social Worker in your local health office. You can report a concern in writing, in person or by phone. Outside office hours all child protection concerns should be referred to the Gardaí. If you are unsure, you can talk it through with a social worker first.
HSE contact details:

HSE Child Welfare and Protection Services are based at 32 Local Health Offices around the country. Click on the relevant county to find contact details.

How to respond if a child discloses child abuse

Stay Calm

Be calm and as natural as possible. Do not panic. 


Listen to the child and allow the child to disclose at their own pace and in their own language.


Assure the child that you believe them. False disclosures are very rare in young children.


Reassure the child that they are not to blame and explain to them that you must report the abuse in order to get help for the child.



How Money is Spent