Resources for Parents
Barnardos offers training courses for parents in various locations around Ireland. Search our parenting courses database to find a course for you.
Identifying Quality Childcare
- Advice for parents on how to ensure that your childcare service is offering the best quality care for your baby or child; and how to act on any complaints or concerns.
- Useful free publications for parents, providing guidance on choosing and working with childcare providers.
Barnardos Learning and Development Service have created 'Your Child's Literacy Skills' and 'Your Child's Numeracy Skills', a series of short, easy to understand ebooks on how you can develop your child's skills with words and numbers. Suitable for parents of babies, toddlers and young children.
Publications for Parents
Barnardos publishes a broad range of material – both publications aimed at professionals in the early years and after school sector, and information guides for parents.
- Parenting Positively Series of free publications
- Childlinks - A free journal on issues affecting children
Barnardos offers a range of free, informative email newsletters aimed at parents, childcare professionals and anyone with an interest in children's issues. They cover topics such as children's rights, family activities, research and more. Subscribe now for free.
The Barnardos Library, located in Christchurch Square, Dublin 8, is a one-stop-shop for information on issues relating to children and families. We have books and publications suitable for both adults and children.
- Advice and resources on bullying from Barnardos - suitable for parents, children and teenagers.
- Advice and resources on cyberbullying from Barnardos.
- Advice and resources on alcohol abuse from Barnardos.
Your Child's School
Barnardos delivers workshops, to primary and secondary school students, teachers and parents, that educate students on topics such as Internet Safety and Cyberbullying. Barnardos also provides talks to schools about the work that Barnardos does to support children and families in Ireland.
To find out more or to book a session, visit Barnardos and Your School.
Resources from other Organisations
Help My Kid Learn - a great resource from the National Adult Literacy Agency.