Teen Parenting Support
Teen Parenting Support
Teen Parent Support Programme & Student Mothers’ Group
We support teenage parents through our Teen Parent Support Programme working with young people (mums and dads) who became parents under the age of 19 years and our Student Mothers’ Group which supports young expectant mothers and young mothers to remain in second level education.
Barnardos Teen Parent Support Programmes work with young people who become parents under 19 years of age and continue to support them until heir child reaches two years of age.
The teen parent support programme works closely with teenage parents and their children to promote and nurture their educational, emotional and social well-being. The service is available to both teen mothers and fathers.
We have three Teen Parent Programmes,
- Wexford: Based in Enniscorthy the project works with teenage parents from anywhere in Wexford county.
- Dublin North: Based in Finglas the project works with teenage parents from Dublin 11.
- Dublin Southwest: Based in Clondalkin the project works with teenage parents from Dublin 24, 12 and parts of 6W.
Barnardos also run a Student Mothers Group which supports young expectant mothers and young mothers to remain in second level education.
The Students Mothers Group is available to mothers in secondary education in Waterford city and county and county Wexford.
How do we support young parents?
The Teen Parent Support Programme helps teenage parents to maximise their potential and reduce risk of social exclusion and isolation.
Our Teen Parent Support Programme can support you by providing:
- Health advice during pregnancy
- Knowledge of child development and parenting skills
- Managing peer and family relationships
- Securing appropriate accommodation and social welfare entitlements
- Returning to education and training
- Arranging childcare
Our Student Mothers Group can support you by providing:
- One-to-one work between project worker and student mother
- Childcare support
- Financial support towards school and study materials
- Group work programmes and social events
- Helping you link with other services during and after your pregnancy such as hospital maternity services, and the Squashy Couch Youth Café
How can I access a service?
Our Teen parent Support Programmes and the Student Mothers group work on a self-referral basis, so a young parent can contact the service directly themselves and speak with one of Barnardos project workers. This is known as a self-referral. Referrals are also accepted from school and other invested partners.