Development Workers' main role in Barnardos is to support and mentor early years services in developing and maintaining quality practice.
A big part of the Regional Development Worker’s role is as Síolta Aistear Mentors, trained by the Early Years Education Policy Unit (EYEPU) of the Department of Education and Skills to support the implementation of the two national quality frameworks Síolta and Aistear. Development Workers also act as Síolta Validators on behalf of the EYEPU.
Barnardos’ Regional Development Workers are experienced and trained in early years care and education (childcare).
Barnardos’ early years development programme
- Provides information, resources, advice and support to early years service providers and educators
- Delivers training workshops for early years providers including owners, managers and educators to support quality development
- Provides direct one-to-one mentoring support to services developing quality practice and provision
- Develops new practice resources in collaboration with the Barnardos Learning and Development Service’s Publications Coordinator to support quality practice in early years and school age services
- Collaborates with other national and local agencies and organisations that are working with early years care and education providers, school age providers and educators to help support the development of quality services
- Provides information on Síolta and Aistear and on the formal Síolta Quality Assurance Programme (QAP)
- Provides mentoring and support to services engaged in the Síolta QAP
- Supports and facilitates reflective practice, so that a service can engage with the ten steps of the Quality Assurance Programme
- Facilitates action planning and development work to help enhance quality practice
- Assists services to build their portfolio of evidence to submit to the Early Years Education Policy Unit of Department of Education for Validation
Keeping a Record of Supervision (PDF)