Post Adoption Service
Support for adopted children, adoptive parents and young adopted adults up to the age of 23
Barnardos has provided a service to adopted people, birth families and adoptive families since 1977.
Barnardos Post Adoption Service provides a specialist therapeutic service to children and teenagers who are adopted both internationally and domestically – and their parents.
Services are also provided to adopted adults and their birth families. Our birth mothers and adopted adults groups run both online and in person.
The service is available regionally via three centres:
- Dublin: 23/24 Buckingham Street Lower Dublin 1. Tel: (01) 8134100
- Cork: Blackmore House, Meade Street, Cork. Tel: (021) 2038005
- Galway: “The Sanctuary”, 27 Chois Chlair, Claregalway, Co Galway. Tel: (091) 454489
If you are having difficulty booking an event please contact either of our three centres directly.
Our Birth History Service includes therapeutic support services to adopted adults, birth families, adults who were subject of an illegal birth registration and to individuals who were boarded out, fostered or nursed out as children in Ireland pre-1991.
What services are provided?
- A therapeutic service for adopted children and teenagers, and their families.
- A national, confidential helpline and email advisory service available twice weekly and professionally staffed.
- Advisory sessions for adoptive parents. Parents may have questions about attachment, school issues, sharing background information and identity development among many other issues. Online parenting consultations and support online can also be arranged to assist parents who may be living at a distance from our centres.
- Group work with children and teenagers .
- Group support and training for adoptive parents.
- Specialist training on adoption issues for professional groups such as teachers. Classroom workshop.
- A therapeutic support service for adopted adults and birth family members who are referred to the service.
Current Post Adoption Events
Resources for adoptive families, birth family members and adopted adults
Listening to Adopted Children and their Families Barnardos Post Adoption Children’s Service
Outcomes of Research by Queens University
Download the full report By Queens University
Contact Barnardos Post-Adoption Service
Barnardos Post Adoption Service, 23/24 Lower Buckingham Street, Dublin 1
+353 1 813 4100 [email protected]
Helpline: (01) 454 6388 (Open 10am – 1pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays)
Sign up for emails from Barnardos Post Adoption
Barnardos Post Adoption Service provides support and advice to parents who have adopted from abroad, adopted adults and birth parents; as well as providing a direct service to children. We offer support groups, workshops, training courses and individual support. Sign up to our email alerts to be kept informed about upcoming events and Barnardos’ work.
Your privacy is very important to us
We use a third party provider, MailChimp, to deliver our communications. You can change your email preferences or unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the ‘manage your preferences’ link at the end of each communication. For information about how we handle your data, please read our privacy statement.
Barnardos Post Adoption Service is funded by TUSLA the Child and Family Agency, through donations from clients and from training income.
Barnardos Post Adoption Service is accredited by the Adoption Authority of Ireland under the Adoption Act 2010.